How many kids do you have?

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Potty Competition

After the 2 year check up for my oldest the doctor told me not to worry about potty training.  It isn't a big deal.  She said (and I quote) "He's not going to be 18 and still in diapers".  But she mentioned maybe just getting a potty and having it around.  You never know he might be interested in it.  Sounds good to me.

About a week later I went to the baby store to pick up a potty.  I got the Baby Bjorn potty.  Apparently they aren't just baby carriers anymore!  But it looked easy to clean.  No crevices for nasties to get stuck in.  Really, that is all I care about.  While I was there I learned something very important.  I AM FAILING AT THE POTTY COMPETITION.  Another Mother noticed me buying a potty and said that I shouldn't be worried about the potty competition between mothers.  My son will go to the bathroom when he is ready.  Her daughter did.  WHAT?  What I did not realize was that how good of a mother (as perceived by other mothers) is when my son potty trains.  It is like an unwritten Mom competition.  Everyone says "Oh your son will go when he is ready," but what they are really thinking is, "HA, my daughter started using the potty at 16 months"!!!  Honestly, if my son was potty trained at 16 month, I'm pretty sure I would tell everyone.  I'd actually probably just have a shirt made so everyone could see what a good mother I am!  So if your kid potty trained early, feel free to brag in the comment section - I would.

Well, I've come to terms with the fact that I am probably going to lose this one.  I'm okay, I've moved on.  Sometimes when I'm changing an especially nasty diaper I think longingly about the day when I won't have to do that anymore.  But then again, with potty training brings, getting the kids all packed up, out the door, and then a mile down the road, "MOM, I have to go to the bathroom!"  It really is a catch 22.  Ahhh!  The joys of parenthood.

So I brought the potty home and put it in the downstairs bathroom.  My son sat on it the first time we went in the bathroom.  Yet another reminder that parenthood was the end of privacy.  I was so excited he sat on it.  I gave him a sticker for sitting on the potty (potty training 101 - reward good behavior) which he ate.  Okay, no stickers....

 He are still just sitting on the potty when I go to the bathroom, although now he drags the potty over to me so we are toe to toe and just stairs at me.  I convince myself that he is learning.  Please let him be learning.  I'm sure he will be trained in no time........

Some days I'm sure the pediatrician is wrong....he WILL be 18 and still in diapers!

1 comment:

  1. He ate the sticker?!?! Lol...Tom is a funny guy! :) PS - Remember how long it was before Pepper was reliably trained - oh wait - didn't she just poop in the house last week!!! Being a mommy sounds like a lot of fun - I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete